The Dig Bible Study Notes
Overcoming the Devil
- Be strong ... in The Lord & in the power (Gk. kratos = manifestation or supernatural display of God's power) of His might (Gk. ischys = the fact of God's power or ability) ...
- It is best rendered in the passive voice ... "Be continually strengthened ... in The Lord." In The Lord, because the strength is tied inextricably to one's relationship with Jesus.
- strong = Gk. endunamoo = cause to be able; it reflects a particular spiritual or moral attitude -- a will
- Be enveloped, consumed, & subsumed in the power of God; let his strength make you able
- ... able to live out your faith and to stand firm against the devil who's desire is to destroy your life and everything that looks like Jesus in you
- Illustrate: NFL Players have a constant regimen of weight lifting. They have to be "in the weight room" 2-3 times a week in order to keep up their strength. It is that strength that gives them confidence against their opponents. They get fined if they don't make all their lifts, i.e. they're penalized, because the coach knows that a weak player is a liability to the team.
- We’re only as strong as the time we spend in prayer and study of the word and in worship.
Get Dressed (11)
- An important key to overcoming the devil is using all the weapons at our disposal to counter and neutralize his attacks.
- God commands us with urgency to put on the entire armor (imperative).
- He provides it, but if we don't put it on, we will live in defeat.
- It is a significant key.
- But, in fact putting on the full armor (Gk. panoplia = all the weapons) is Paul's summary explanation for implementing all the principles outlined in chapters 4-6.
- It was unthinkable for a Roman soldier to be without all his weapons just as it's unthinkable for a football player to take the field with everything except his helmet ... or one cleat ... or no mouth guard ...
- Take your stand (11, 13, 14)... means to abide, remain, continue, stand still ... don’t give up your ground to the enemy!
♣ Truth ...
- About, to, and with yourself
- About others, i.e. friends, women, etc.
- About the situation ... “They wouldn’t be with me if it wasn’t for my NFL career.”
- Truth brings clarity and helps us game plan better/make better decisions.
- Do what’s right, not convenient
- Do what’s right, not advantageous
- Do what’s right, not what’s legal
- It’s moral integrity
- The readiness that comes with knowing I’m at peace with God.
- I can go through anything because I know that God is working it out for my good.
- He’s got a purpose for any and every trial I go through. It’s not to destroy me; he’s shaping me and making me.
- I have peace with God!
♣ Shield of Faith (ABOVE ALL)
- “... when faced with the temptation to fear, bitterness, anger, division, unforgiveness”
- “300” & “Gladiator” – Greek & Roman Shields
- darts were dressed with flax and pitch and dipped in fire ... the dart would hit and the fire would spread
- Don’t let the fire spread!
♣ Helmet of Salvation
- Keeps my mind by remembering what Christ has done for me, whose I am, and my position in the heavenly places.
- I can declare to the devil whose I am!
♣ Sword of the Spirit ... The Word of God
- Sword = Gk. machaira = a short, double-edge sword carried by Roman legionaries
- It was extremely difficult to approach a soldier well-trained in the use of his machaira
- It could cut from either side; the point could pierce armor; it could be used in close proximity.
- There are some very practical spiritual behaviors and attitudes we can embrace/wear that will put the devil to flight!
- Obedience, holy living, & a godly attitude neutralizes the enemy's wiles (Gk. methodia = deceptions, cunning arts; strategem or well devised plans)!
- The only way we can stand and not give up ground to the enemy is to be properly clothed!
Get A Clue (12)
- Many of us are clueless about the battles we're in ...
- Fighting discouragement & depression ...
- Fighting fears & an embattled self-esteem ... vain imaginations ... negative thoughts
- Fighting people with quarrels, fights, conflicts at home, on the job, and at church ...
- Our struggle (Gk. pale = wrestling, fight ... hand to hand combat) is not what we think it is.
- We think the problem is the people we're dealing with or ourselves.
- But in fact we are fighting the devil and his demons ...
- "Struggle" comes from the idea of a Greek wrestling match in which the goal was to throw one's opponent to the ground & to keep him there! (And the loser would have his eyes gouged out.)
- The enemies goal is to slam us to the ground in defeat and to keep us there. And once he has us down, he steals our vision to blind us ...
- Paul says we're fighting ranked demons ...
- rulers = Gk. arche = 1st ones
- authorities = Gk. exousia = delegated authorities
- cosmic powers = Gk. kosmocrator = those bent on world rule or control
- spiritual forces of evil = angelic beings (demons) behind the heavenly bodies, affecting humans ("horoscopes")
- He operates in the earth realm, but has access to God for permission in the heavenly realm ... for now (Job 1:6-7, 1 Peter 5:8)
- He has no authority in the heavenly realm, but he does fight.
- He talks to God about people, asking permission to harm – Job 1:8-12; 2:1-6, Luke 22:31-32
- Luke 10:12-18, the disciples exercised authority over demons
Know His Names
- devil -- diabolos = slanderer ... the arch-enemy of man's spiritual progress & purpose
- Satan -- adversary, enemy, accuser
- Jesus saw him fall from heaven – Luke 10:18
- ancient serpent — Rev. 12:9, 20:2
- red dragon ... Rev. 12
- He was thrown to the earth – Revelation 12:7-9
- Abbadon (Hb.) or Apolyon (Gk.) = Destroyer -- Rev. 9:11
- Beelzebul = prince of demons -- Matthew 12:24
- liar & father of lies -- John 8:44
- prince of this world -- John 12:31
- prince of the power of the air -- Ephesians 2:22 … authority over the fallen demons in the spirit realm
- the spirit that works in all disobedient people -- Ephesians 2:22
- the Tempter -- Matthew 4:3
- the god of this world -- 2 Corinthians 4:4 … THE influence over those who are blind toward Jesus!
Know His Devices
"...for we are not ignorant of his devices." 2 Corinthians 2:11
- To devour the people of God – 1 Peter 5:8
- To distract & disrupt us from God’s plan & purpose for our lives – Matthew 3:16-4:11, Zechariah 3:1-7
- To accuse us before God – Rev. 12:10, Romans 8:1
- The Messages of Negativity
- “You’re too ...”
- “You’ll never ...”
- “You’re not good enough ...”
- “You’re washed up ...”
- “You can’t do anything right ...”
- “You’re not going to amount to anything ...”
- "You don't really love God ..."
- "You'll only serve God if ..."
- To destroy us spiritually, physically, emotionally, mentally, relationally – create chaos in our lives – John 10:10, Luke 22:31, Acts 10:38
- To dissuade us from serving God – Job 1:8-11; 2:3-4
- To discourage us from praising & worshipping God – Genesis 3:1-6, 13:4-8
- To deceive us – Revelation 2:9; 13:14; 20:3, 1 Timothy 2:14, 2 Corinthians 11:13-15
- … into sinning against God (Matthew 4)
- … to confuse us about God’s truth (Matthew 13:36-43)
- To destroy Jesus (and persecute Israel) – Revelation 12:4, 13
- To divide us and conquer us – Luke 11:17
- To disorder/disorganize us and promote chaos – Ephesians 5:23, 6:1-3; 1 Corinthians 11:8-13
- To promote our disobedience toward God – Nehemiah 13:23-27; 1 Kings 11:1-11
- He tempts us to sin against God – Matthew 4
- He tells us not to trust God – Genesis 3:1-6
- He confuses us about the truth – Matthew 13:24-30; 36-43
- He gets us thinking like the world – Matthew 16:21-26
- He snatches up the word from us – Mark 4:15, Luke 8:12
- He leads us to lie – John 8:44, Acts 5:3
- He works to drain us through negativity -- sources & voices ...
- Other peoples’ jealousy -- Psalm 41:5-9
- Other peoples’ insecurity – Nehemiah 4:15-20
- Other people’s self-serving motives – Psalm 55:12-14
- Ultimately Satan, the author of confusion & destruction – Luke 22:3-4, Ephesians 6:12
Know His “Cryptonite”
- Renounce him – Matthew 4:10-11
- Resist him – James 4:7
- Submit to God – James 4:7
- Use the word of God -- Matthew 4
- Exercise Self-Restraint – 1 Peter 5:8
- Enjoy God-honoring sex – 1 Corinthians 7:5
- Exercise forgiveness – 2 Corinthians 2:11
- Suit Up (in the Spirit) – Ephesians 6:11-20
- Plead the blood of Jesus, tell your testimony & be willing to suffer for Christ -- Revelation 12:11-12
- Worship -- 2 Chronicles 20:13-30
- Live a godly life! Ephesians 4-6